1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pay from Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by budcrew08, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

so what media empire would you suggest someone leap to?

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

Good question.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Gannett is like the Good Ship Lollipop compared to some of our other malignant media monstrosities.

I've worked for Gannett. They did some things I thought were annoying and stupid.

But they weren't like some of "the others." If you want a career in journalism, sooner or later, you have to convince yourself to work for somebody. ::) ::)

4. I worked at crappily managed Gannett paper that nearly sucked the life out of me but they paid me pretty well ... to the point that I struggled finding jobs at equally large or bigger papers that would pay me more ...

A co-worker called it the "golden handcuffs."

5. Taylee

Taylee Member

When I was in Gannett it was called the "velvet coffin" for the same reason.

6. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Burlington is a great, great place to live.

Ron Mathews (of the Seattle P-I before jumping to the Sonics) worked there once upon a time.

So did I -- budcrew, PM me for details if you're really interested.

7. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Member

Hah! I've got a friend at the Manfield News-Journal. Not only is their pay mediocre (25-27K-ish for a photographer with 8 years there), but a while back they eliminated the monthly camera allowance (you had to buy your own gear, so they gave you an allowance for it). Now, they don't get an allowance, are still expected to supply their own gear, and the company gear they do have is ancient and broken.

But hey, I think even that is better than what paxton papers get.

Draft saved Draft deleted