1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pay from Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by budcrew08, Jun 5, 2007.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I'm thinking about applying for a copy-editor spot in Burlington, Vt. at the Gannett paper there. I was wondering what the approximate pay would be for a Gannett job. It is pretty competitive?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Wrong board, but it depends on size, location and your experience.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Get as much as you can up front, to the point of balking at taking the job, because COLA's are meager.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

My apologies if this on the wrong board. If the mods want to move it to the right place, please do so.

Burlington is a 50,000 circ daily (just over 60K Sundays). Burlington is the biggest city in Vermont, but it's pretty small to other big markets. I have 3 years of professional experience doing everything from news reporter, sports reporter, copy-editing and designing, and I did a couple of internships as well as some college experience.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I have no idea what they pay, but that is a very cool town and, to an outsider, a pretty good paper for its size, although no doubt regular readers notice warts that I wouldn't just seeing it every now and then.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Maybe this job could get the boots or Webby seal of approval? ;D

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

What's the Moddy Pipeline say about it?

8. boots

boots New Member

Burlington is a nice area. Good skiing. I'll give it the boots seal of approval. Good training ground. You can advance from there after a couple of years of seasoning.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Burlington is a terrific college town. It's right on Lake Champlain and some of the best skiing in the USA is less than an hour's drive away in multiple directions. The University of Vermont (UVM) is here, and they have a solid hoops program, a topnotch ski team and a hockey team that once again is competitive. Plenty of good high schools around, too. Montreal is only about two hours away, and Boston less than four. Good airport, too. One of the writing alums is Andy Gardiner, now with USA Today.

10. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I would guess low-to-mid 30s, but if they can pay you less, they will. When I took a Gannett job, they told me I was sorta slotted in to a certain range, with little room for negotiation. Also, I was told there was no help with moving expenses per a company-wide policy.

11. longgone

longgone Member

It's Gannett. That's all you need to know. Stay the hell away at all costs.

12. boots

boots New Member

For the most part, Gannett pays well. It's a cookie-cutter structure, buy you make a decent coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted