1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pay cut for Calkins chain in Philly area

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 8, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline. I have the memo, trying to figure out how to copy and paste a pdf

10 percent pay cuts just announced this afternoon

The Calkins chain consists of three suburban dailies - The Bucks County Courier Times, the Doylestown Intelligencer and The Burlington County Times

combined circulation is now about 120,000 after peaking at 180,000 or so

2. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

This news makes me very, VERY sad.

Good luck to all of my friends at the Intel and Courier. You guys kick ass and always have.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

First off, it had been rumored that Calkins was going do an el foldo on a few smaller papers in the area. Glad that didn't happen.
    Those three papers do an excellent job of covering community journalism. The pay cuts shouldn't have come as complete surprise. That combined circulation number I believe is a bit inflated. People in those bedroom communities still read the Philadelphia Inquirer religiously.

4. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

There's some good people with those newspapers who do major league work with Triple-A circs. I would think, like the folks in Newark, it's gotta be tougher to lose money in big-city areas. Not like it's easy to lose money anywhere, just the cost of living can be higher. I'd imagine the Philly burbs can cost a pretty penny.

5. tagline

tagline Member

Calkins also owns the Beaver County Times and Uniontown Herald-Standard near Pittsburgh.

Pay cuts there, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted