1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pay at a small town daily

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GarrettWampler, Aug 10, 2011.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm in New England. I currently pay about $600 a month (heat included, no other utilities) for a one-bedroom. Apparently, it is dirt cheap to live other places?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah? Where at?

4. RickStain

Measured by land area and not population, most of America.

5. JackReacher

But what if I had a boatload of credit card debt? And college loans? And a sizeable hooker budget that cannot be messed with?

6. RickStain

Then you'll have to do something for a living that makes more money.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

OK, say I drop the hookers. I know, I know....it's a big move, but let's say I do that. But I still have all the credit card and college debt. What then? How do I make ends meet?

8. RickStain

Then you'll have to make more money or do without some stuff.

If you choose to make more money, you can get a second job or you can go into a different field.

If you choose to do without some stuff, you'll probably have to choose between dumping the credit card debt (probably better to just default than bother with bankruptcy) and going without a car.

9. JackReacher

That sounds awesome! Thanks!

10. RickStain

Never said it was awesome. It sucks.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

In the early 2000's, when I took my first job out of college in Lumberton, N.C., I moved into the nicest available apartment in town. It was a spacious two-bedroom place with hardwood floors, decent appliances. All-in-all, it was a pretty nice apartment for a young, single guy. $385 a month. I could have downgraded and lived in a crappy one-bedroom for less than $300. That town is a shithole and I got out fast, but I've never been in a place where the paycheck went further.

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

That's cheap where I live. $600 would either get you a bedroom in a house with roommates or a 'studio' which is basically the basement of some rich person's mega house.

Draft saved Draft deleted