1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paxton strikes again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Nov 8, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Paxton Media Group, which bought the Durham (N.C.) Herald-Sun and laid off many employees in a classless manner, is at it again. No surprise, the circulation has gone down faster than at most papers around the country since then.
    <a href="http://www.post-trib.com/business/640812,lppaper.article">
    It purchased a paper in LaPorte, Ind., called the Herald-Argus and has laid off almost half of its employee.</a>

Happy holidays!

Just another example of why you should stay away from anything Paxton.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

I thought this thread was about this guy. Poor thread title. ;)

Also, a pox on Paxton Media Group.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wonder how long before the paper becomes the NW Indiana News-Dispatch and merges?

Jesus. That's classless, especially in the case of the wire editor. You'd almost hope someone sues over this, but what recourse would you have?

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I don't know. Is that like one of those math word problems from college?

A 555-mile, 5-hour plane trip was flown at two speeds. For the first part of the trip, the average speed was 105 mph. Then the tailwind picked up, and the remainder of the trip was flown at an average speed of 115 mph. For how long did the plane fly at each speed?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

"Julie Kessler, 60, the Herald-Argus' former wire editor and an employee at the paper for 22 years, was informed via certified mail that she had been terminated. She had been out on sick leave since August after undergoing back surgery.

Kessler said employees at the paper had falsely been given assurances the sale would affect little regarding the Herald-Argus' production and staff.

Kessler said the terminated employees were offered a severance package that includes 12 weeks of pay.

She also said both the Herald-Argus and News-Dispatch editorial staffs are being told by Paxton officials to keep details of the cutbacks out of print."

----

So ... make sure the reporters and editors pump all the big businesses about their layoffs and hold their feet to the fire, but when the town's newspaper loses about half its staff, it's supposed "to keep details of the cutbacks out of print."

Stay classy, Paxton.

Thank goodness plenty of stories came out about the bloodletting in Durham, much to Paxton's disgust. The News & Observer will pick over what's left of the Herald-Sun's readership. I hope they enjoy the gristle and other garbage the Herald-Sun left behind in Durham.

Now, if LaPorte follows Paxton's trend in Durham, expect to see some job openings pop up, followed by enough spin to make Tiger Woods' golf ball jealous.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Paxton is getting close to, if not surpassing, JRC territory here.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Damn. That's a bold statement.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

2 hours at 105 mph.
    3 hours at 115 mph.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The correct answer is Cleveland.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Maybe it comes from personal experience a bit too.

I've never worked for a JRC publication. I have worked for a Paxton and seen them operate first hand. Oh the stories I could tell.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Trick question. The Indians don't have a plane.

[​IMG]

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This one of them fuzzy math questions? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted