1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paxton strikes again: Layoffs at Paducah (Ky.) Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jul 18, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This is according to a radio station's report:

http://www.wkyx.com/local-news-details.asp?NewsID=6545

The survivors were going to have their pay cut 5 percent, but Paxton honchos changed their minds.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

SOP for Paxton. Make the layoffs, say nothing to any other media sources and act like it's an "internal" matter.

So that's where Duke Conover landed. He was in Morganton, N.C., for a while. I worked with a guy who was under him ... he's nicer than I am, but let's just say he wasn't overwhelmed by Mr. Conover.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Probably not a good sign that they are cutting at their flagship, but then again, Paxton likes to see how badly they can screw their employees, just ask Durham.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You've heard that too? I have friends and family out that way and I don't get the impression the community was terribly fond of Conover.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

From a friend: The sports designer is gone, and they're going to a universal desk.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Typical of the media. Exploit others but don't share shit about your own issues.

7. braveworld38

braveworld38 New Member

Diabeetus,
    if you know the sports designer who was let go IM me because was have an opening on the design desk and are looking to fill it quickly

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and we talk shit about PR folks.

9. Apparently, Paxton has dropped its hammer again on another Sun.
    This time, it's in Jonesboro, Arkansas.
    I was told that the Sun was told to make a cutback, meaning a young sports writer was laid off Monday.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to be a newspaper designer these days. As we continue to shift to the web, the need for designers becomes less and less.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

How big a paper?

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Paducah is about 25K and it was their largest paper for a number of years until the past 5-6 years when they started their buying spree. Their corporate is also based there.

Jonesboro is about 22K.

Draft saved Draft deleted