1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pawlenty drops out of race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That was quick.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/08/14/pawlenty/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Remarkable that he was considered a co-front runner very recently.

I'm surprised more isn't being made of Ron Paul's second-place finish. Or maybe I haven't read the coverage enough yet. I know that he was really, really focusing on finishing in the top three in the Iowa straw poll, according to a recent NYT or WSJ article, to legitimize his candidacy.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The fact Paul did well proves the Iowa straw poll is an outlier.

Pawlenty and his people have "a thing" about Bachmann. They let that get the better of them in Iowa. Poor judgment.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Probably. But it was his only hope, and I'll give credit where credit is due. He stuck the landing.

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Pawlenty could have been a very formidable candidate. But he's not a red meat personality in a party that demands red meat personalities. And he couldn't get the business community in his corner the way Mitt Romney could. Pawlenty's refusal/inability to aggressively attack Mitt Romney in the debates sealed his fate.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He was supposed to leave the second Bachmann joined. He ripped her once a few nights ago, and that's not what the string-pullers want, so he's out.

Gingrich was was supposed to leave months ago. That's why someone engineered that "voter" to confront him about the Paul Ryan comments. But Gingrich is Gingrich, stubborn to the last, so he'll walk a few more miles down the road.

It's Romney. They all already know it's Romney. Only Ron Paul, out of the bunch, doesn't care. If Paul gains any traction whatsoever in Iowa, don't worry - conservatives will make sure he's derailed on the East Coast.

And, IMO, Romney will not win, either. I don't even think the most powerful conservatives want him to win. They'll take four more years of beating up Obama, maybe force an impeachment hearing if they can cull it up, then throw every ounce of energy behind Paul Ryan.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I want to personally congratulate the three Iowa Republicans who wrote in the Butter Cow in the straw poll. A perfect comment on the event's validity.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

How do you figure they really want Paul Ryan as President?

If he runs for President, his Medicare proposal is front and center, and the entire GOP leadership is out on a limb. If Ryan were then to lose, be it in 2012 or 2016, not only is Ryan toast politically, but so is the agenda.

In politics, it's all about covering your ass.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It's not going to be Romney, IMHO. "Obamneycare" will stick, and it's going to be a major albatross around his neck.

I think Perry's going to be more viable than people think. Same for Bachmann.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Paul always does well in these self-stroking, meaningless bits of business in the sticks. His severe foreign-policy naivete makes him a non-starter when the real racing begins, never mind 200-proof libertarianism, when you have to be the president of ALL the people. Bachmann's what Iowa
    thinks represents their policy dreams. Be careful what you wish for

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If Bachmann wins, I quit at life.

And I'm a Republican. Which really has nothing to do with her and her ilk.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

They're both entertaining and, really, isn't that the point.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

Can Romney get nominated without the support from cultural conservatives?

Draft saved Draft deleted