1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paulina Gretzky, golf enthusiast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 4, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And LPGA stalwarts are not happy that Dustin Johnson's birdie is Golf Digest's cover subject, graciously helping men everywhere improve their stroke.

[​IMG]

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/04/sports/golf/female-golfers-rankled-by-magazines-cover.html?_r=0

“It’s frustrating because it’s Golf Digest; it’s not Sports Illustrated’s swimsuit issue,” Inkster said, adding: “I think they should maybe recognize some of the great women golfers that we have. It’s like, What do you have to do to get a little respect? I’m guaranteeing you right now, it was not a woman editor who chose that cover.”

Inkster said: “O.K., so I think next month the cover should be Paula Creamer’s fiancé, who’s a fighter pilot, or Brittany Lincicome’s hot boyfriend, who’s a long-drive hitter. Put one of them on there.”

That's a little harsh. I mean, what 45-year-old man hasn't stood on the diving board of the local swimming pool and done this kind of yoga to help his follow-through? Tiger Woods is undoubtedly picking up tips for his arduous rehab assignment.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

It's the fitness issue. Maybe Laura Davies should have been on the cover.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Inkster said: “O.K., so I think next month the cover should be Paula Creamer’s fiancé, who’s a fighter pilot, or Brittany Lincicome’s hot boyfriend"

Sounds like Brittany better keep close tabs on her man...

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sex sells.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If Every LPGA Golfer Looked Like This

LPGA miffed at Golf Digest photo shoot of Pauling Gretsky

[​IMG]

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Re: If Every LPGA Golfer Looked Like This

It's always the same response. If it were one of their own members, the response would be "You're exploiting so-and-so for sex". Since it happens to be another female who isn't one of their members, the response is "You're exploiting so-and-so for sex." Well, duh. Why do you think people watch women's sports in the first place? You complain when you never get coverage (which is about 99 percent of the time) and then complain the 1 percent of the time when you do get coverage.

No-win situation.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

She needs to bend her knees and flex the shaft a tad

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ok, coach.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Understandable confusion with such an ambiguous thread title

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/99436/

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If Golf Digest is going to be that tangential and shameless about it, they might as well find Tiger's ex-wife and splash the headline: Best Revenge Ever.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

When's the last Golf Digest cover that garnered this attention?

Draft saved Draft deleted