1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paula Deen is done

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Ditto. And I make awesome fried chicken.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I think the waiters dressed up as slaves thing is very much over blown after reading the deposition in full. I'm bored and recovering from a hangover. She never dressed anybody up. She and her husband were at a restaurant, and all of the waiters were middle-aged black men, dressed a certain way. She was impressed at how professional they were and the level of service. It was a look and level of service that she mentioned in passing in discussing the planning of a wedding that she wanted to recreate. But she also fully understood that it is something that would not have gone down well with certain people and knew she couldn't do it. She didn't press for it. I think she was more impressed with the level of service than trying to dress a bunch of black guys up like slaves. Still not the most savoury of thoughts, but it is a long way from what it is being alleged she did.

I was more surprised by her candidly talking about how she and her family often to this day still share racist jokes like it isn't a big deal.

Her brother, who she unsurprisingly defends, does sound like a sleaze though.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

"Don't y'all just love the colored folks and the way they dress so snazzy?"

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dooley, I can speak for myself.
    In my opinion, Paula Deen is an old woman who grew up saying certain things and will continue to do so. She may have a racist viewpoint, much like many along here after reading the various posts, but I don't think she's a racist. She's just misguided and hasn't evolved with the times, like a few posters.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If she has a racist viewpoint, she's a racist.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I see your point wicked. I don't know the inner workings of her mind and don't profess to either. People say things for various reasons. I think if she was as big of a racist as many claim, she wouldn't involve herself with minorities on any level.
    I think she's an old woman who knows that this is 2013 but her mind often reverts back to 1950 when African Americans were getting the shit kicked out of them on a constant basis.
    Just one man's opinion.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wasn't speaking for you, to you or at you, brip. Just passing along knowledge to someone.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Your pass of knowledge was intercepted.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

She shoulda' used the Ronald Reagan playbook.

Lawyer, "Paula, have you ever used a racial slur?"
    Deen, "I don't recall..."

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hillary has that one trademarked, both from her days as first lady and SoS.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Drip is a nagger.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I bet someone could try to hide a shot at the GOP on the writers board and someone would find it and respond with a shot at a Democrat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.