1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paula Deen is done

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

She dressed waiters as waiters. Which normally isn't a problem.

What IS a problem is dressing waiters as waiters for a Civil War-style wedding and all the waiters are black. That's what I thought she admitted to.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

She was a big Obama supporter, so her tumble doesn't bother me at all.
    More, please.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Too bad there isn't a place on the board to take political potshots. We could sure use such.

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I'd feel much better about this if they canned her goober sons as well.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Inky, twice you have asserted such in this thread, and your NYT link mentioned nothing of the kind.

The only references I can find is that she "had an interest" in "staging" a "period-style" wedding but decided against it.

There are all kinds of theme weddings. Now, a Civil War themed wedding may seem a little odd, but it is an era with a romantic hold on some people, since books and movies about that period seem to do quite well. And in the movies there are people, yes, dressed like slaves.

I have little use for the things Paula Deen said or did . . . but let's at least be accurate about what she did say or do.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I gather that she never actually went through with it, but she definitely used the word "slaves" in describing the wedding. From the deposition:

“I mean, it was really impressive. That restaurant represented a certain era in America…after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War…It was not only black men, it was black women…I would say they were slaves.”

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

so fried foods, Hennessey and OJ and bad service are not allowed?

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've always found Deen's saccharine manifestation of Southern-ness totally cloying and off-putting. I don't hide my Southern-ness -- I've never attempted to tone down my thick accent and my fondness for, among other things, fried chicken, pulled pork and NASCAR* -- but Deen's act always struck me as contrived, if only in its amplitude.

And while I think it ridiculous that anyone would be surprised that a woman of her age and provenance would admit to having used the word "n----r" in the past, Deen's not being treatedly unfairly in the least. Markets are fickle in that line of business; 'nary a one of Paula Deen's customers (or FoodTV et al.) owes her a damn thing. In fact, if there's been any failure to live up to obligations, Mrs. Deen is the guilty party. This guy says it pretty damn well:

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/06/20/less-than-accidental-racist-why-paula-deens-comments-insult-her-fans-too/

*Don't get me started on Southerners droning on, and on, and on about grits and sweet tea. Sheesh. As if those were the high-water marks of Southern cuisine.

9. Does Deen refer to the Civil War as the "War of Northern Aggression?" We have a few posters here who do.

10. Well said.
    I agree completely.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

White people don't like fried food? You don't make it south of I-70 much do you?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No kidding. The idea of fried chicken being a black stereotype has always offended me. I could eat more of it than anybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.