1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paula Deen is done

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Food Network is letting her go after a weird few days where she admitted she used the N-word and dressed waiters as slaves, no-showed a Today Show interview and issued not one but two apology videos.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/22/dining/paula-deen-is-a-no-show-on-today.html?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I read the thread title as "Paula Deen is gone," and I was expecting a debate on whether the NYT should play the obit on A1

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

So much for the upcoming season of her (pre)judging on "Next Racist Food Network Star."

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They did the right thing. I actually had gotten to the point where I thought she might survive this... Glad to see that wasn't the case...

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess she never cooks with brown sugar

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think she'll resurface in about a year in a smaller role.

7. Inky_Wretch

Or move to the Cooking Channel.

I wonder if this will help or hurt her restaurant business.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Big freakin whoop. Did she say something specifically to someone? From what I gather it was a case of "Have you ever said anything inappropriate?" and she answered honestly.

Who's going to cast the first stone?

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

She'd be smart to rebrand it, maybe get another Southern cooking name attached to it. That would at least stanch the bleeding.

10. Inky_Wretch

She also admitted she dressed waiters as slaves.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm surprised she lasted this long. On food TV, you either have to be a hot babe or have a gimmick, and both come with expiration dates. There's always going to be someone who is hotter or who has a fresher gimmick.

She should be glad she squeezed as much out of this as she did, y'all.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

A few years back she was in the press box at Bristol. A friend of mine asked, "Do you know Rachel Ray? She's about the best looking woman on TV." Paula said, "You can kiss my butt."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.