1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paula Abdul done with American Idol

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Aug 5, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I disagree. This show is a freaking locomotive. People would tune in if you and I were the judges. The only guy the show needs is Simon. He disappears, so does the obvious bad guy. Kara, I'd say, is second now in the pecking order, b/c a.) she's a bitch and b.) she's freaking hot.

Can't stand Seacrest and would like to run him over with A_QB's lawnmower [/crossthreading], but give the guy credit for recognizing the obvious--w/o Idol nobody gives a shit about the guy--and jumping at the offer to re-up.

This was a horrible move for someone whose career was dead for a decade before Idol came along. I imagine we'll see/hear her soon on some kind of Idol recap show with that Finkledude who co-hosted the first year before he said it was too mean to people. Nice career move, jackass.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I found Paula to be entertaining, imperfect, and yeah, sweet. And I think the show needs all that.

I was on the cusp of giving it up last year, and now I will.

Bye bye Idol.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If she quit, she's an idiot and she'll never be heard from again...

If they fired her, it's a mistake because when something is going as well as AI has gone for as long as it has, you don't fuck with it when it's working.

Simon is the main reason people watch the show, but I will admit that there was some serious trainwreck appeal with watching Paula.

You don't mess with a formula that's working. Unless she wanted insane money, they should have given it to her.

Maybe she is so stupid that she thought she could get a deal like Simon got.

4. Mizzougrad96

I'm not a Seacrest fan, but I think he does a pretty good job staying out of the way. The guy is making $15M a year on Idol, more than that from E! additional money from a bad, but really popular radio show and is probably making a fortune for producing the Denise Richards and Kim Kardashian shows.

I'm not a fan, but he's no dummy...

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

What he said.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hate to agree that he's not a dummy, but I do.

Had to have some grudging respect for the guy watching him mock himself in Knocked Up.

7. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Impact of PAb leaving Idol...
    1) No drugged judge, discounting that the other judges are sipping a high-octane drink in that "Coke" glass in front of them.
    2) No more mushy, difficult to understand critiques that even when understood, offer nothing for the contestant to grow on.
    3) One less ego.
    4) One less possible ethics violation as a judge gets involved with a contestant.
    5) We won't have to watch her damn dancing routine during performances. I bet that really gets annoying for the live audience.

8. Mizzougrad96

I don't know... It's been a No. 1 show since 2002. I wouldn't want to mess with almost any aspect of it.

It's not like they needed to shake things up.

Paula is an egomaniac, drunken lunatic, but she's a hell of a lot more interesting than Randy or Kara.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Randy's inconsistent at best. But he's interesting. I always make it a contest to guess the number of times he says "dog" in one show.

How about the America's Got Talent cast? Simon runs that show.

Or -gasp - how about some REAL talent scouts instead of stars in need of ego massage?

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You know what was great about having Paula as a judge?

She was the dependable stop loss for any and all arguments on a bad performance.

When even Paula hated it, there was no debating. Everybody could agree it stunk.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When she said a contestant "looked great" you knew they were going home.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

By all accounts, she badly wanted to come back but balked when they wouldn't meet her price and ultimately lost the game of chicken. I'll bet we see her desperately try -- and miserably fail -- to stay in the public eye.

All because she wouldn't sit at a table and drink Coke and make nonsensical statements for $10 million. What a country.

Draft saved Draft deleted