1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paula Abdul done with American Idol

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Aug 5, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Where'd you go, Alabama? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who said I was kidding when I said it was an intriguing story? Of the year or century? Well, I was just being silly, but yeah, I thought the story was pretty funny.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

yet you're taking the time to read this thread. Me thinks, Spnited is a closet American Idol fan.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Like Nascar, there are people who watch American Idol solely for the wrecks. With Paula out, they won't watch past the pre-Hollywood round.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I was thinking that they should have wrestled in jello or butter to decide who would remain as a judge.

Then, I remembered that I don't like to watch wrestling (or American Idol, for that matter) very much.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

There's a Doug Ferguson joke in here somewhere ... oh hell, there's always a Doug Ferguson joke in there as it applies to Tiger Woods.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Damn. With Paula out, which judge will be the one to declare that everyone did a great job?

She was too predictable and way too positive. There's a reason everyone cares what Simon says: because he doesn't sugarcoat anything. Paula sugarcoated EVERYTHING, and it stripped her credibility as a judge.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Maybe the money's not as important anymore now that she's got enough and wants to live a quiet life on the beach or out in the countryside?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cowell deserves every penny. He created the show. He is the show, for better or worse.
    Seacrest, for whatever reason, was getting paid $5 mill a year, and now will get $15 mil a year for just his work on AI. Don't know why the producers caved, probably the most replaceable person on the show.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Look, the show was originally a throwaway vanity product for Murdoch's daughter. So they did it on the cheap and got a has-been singer who never couldn't sing and a producer/bass player who no one had ever heard of. Even if they forced her out, Paula made more money than she had any right to hope for at this stage in her life. The new judge stinks, or it would have been a good move.

Randy should also be looking over his shoulder.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Read a story that described Abdul as the crazy aunt who everyone talks about how crazy she is. With her gone, what will people talk about? The performers? Doubt it. She was good for at least two or three tabloid stories a season. More than anyone else on the show. Unless they get Britney Spears or Lindsey Lohan on as a judge, the show is going to lose a lot of the free pub Abdul provided.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Says the guy with posts about Tiffani Thiessen, Spin City, and Zack Morris on Fallon.

Draft saved Draft deleted