1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Westhead just giggled, and doesn't know why.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Valley?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hallelujah. Somebody plays the game, accepts the final score, and goes home.

I would guess most of the girls are doing just fine. Probably most of the players on the losing team are just as happy today as the girls on the winning team. Life goes on.

3. Still no reason to keep the starters in the game to run it up. Players on both teams might have learned a good lesson in sportsmanship had the winning coach made sure to empty his bench plenty early. The athletic fields are supposed to be an extension of the classroom in HS, at least that's what we're told by self-serving administrators. Here's a chance to prove it.

I've seen it from both sides, and it's just as wrong every way you look at it.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

And you would be right, Armchair!

Valley annihilated DSM North, 98-6.

The Register attempted to make a big story out of it by showing a picture of the final score to go with the game recap.

Some tried to call out Valley for their penchant in blowing teams out in football, girls hoops, and in the rest of their sports.

The DSM schools didn't even whine much. They knew they sucked back then in the '90's.

Thank goodness the city schools are now respectable and more competitive.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

RE: the thread title.
    I covered LMU and I remember a really weird thing happening in one game. It was against St. Mary's, which was a decent team in that league at that time. LMU was comfortably ahead and gunning for 100 points, urged on by their fans. St. Mary's was determined to not let LMU get 100. So one play, an LMU guy fires one up, they crash the boards, but it's a long rebound. St. Mary's best guy gets the rebound and is alone at midcourt for a breakaway. He starts down then pulls up and waits.
    So, essentially, late in a game, the team this is leading is pushing the pace and the team that is losing is slowing it down.
    I asked the St. Mary's coach about that afterward -- Lynn Nance, who was kind of an ass. He just started laughing.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

If I was to meet this Yates coach, I'd tell him exactly what I thought of his landslide win.
    His actions on that night were a disgrace to the education profession.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

yeah, it's a great lesson: Quit trying because the other team sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted