1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Sullivan Chicago Tribune column on sports media as pawns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Mongo only pawn in game of life.

playthrough and RonClements like this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Meh.

You can argue that everyone is a pawn for something or someone.

The relationship between sports leagues / teams and media outlets / reporters is a simple one.

Put aside the pandemic and the mess that zoom interviews with teams completely controlling access has created for the time being.

The leagues need healthy fan interest in order to sell tickets, garner viewers (which translates into TV contracts) and sell licensed gear.

Kyrie Irving may not understand his role in all of this, and may never get it, and many of the individual reporters may not understand the dynamic they are part of. But the chess game is way more complicated than one side controlling the board and using the other as pawns.

The outlets those reporters work for want sports coverage to attract readers who want it, which those outlets hope to monetize via subscriptions or ads.

The leagues want that sports coverage to keep fans engaged, so they can sell tickets and get TV contracts and sell jerseys.

The players, whether they get it or not, should want that coverage, because it's what keeps their salaries going up.

Within that dynamic, of course teams would like to control how their team gets covered, but that doesn't mean that they are completely in control and the media is their pawn, because that push-pull dynamic exists within what is a largely symbiotic relationship.

Some teams lose sight of that, often in the heat of a moment over something written or said about a player or team, and many of the players, such as Kyrie Irving are clueless, but Adam Silver and most of the owners understand that there is a symbiosis there that works to their benefit too.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Someone here once posted: "Sports are a whorehouse and we're just the piano players.

Have a nice day!"

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Kyrie Irving, of all people, absolutely gets his role in this. He’s just a real postmodern shit about it.

Though rarely to Irving’s extent, we’ve all dealt with a few Kyries in our career. I remember one, sharp guy, who, about two years in, wanted to start talking about everything but his actual role on the team in games. Wanted to talk politics, media, philosophy, religion...wanted to be more than an athlete, etc.

Everybody did that dance for about a year, and then we were done.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The column is all over the place. More of a “musing”

7. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Spot on. And more to the point, the last thing we need is "one of our own" calling all of us pawns so insistently, even if he only means to do it for one column and move on.

What might have been most interesting to me from this piece was the part about Miguel Cabrera and the Tigers. I hadn't heard about that. Reminded me about the Justin Verlander kerfuffle, though I remembered that was the Astros' PR team getting in the way of the Freep guy, not Detroit's.

Draft saved Draft deleted