1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Simon - An Appreciation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Making my entrance again with my usual flair....

2. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Love Paul Simon and Graceland is one of my favorite albums But i also like Los Lobos and this is a nice little rant about Paul and my respect for the guy took a hit. http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/teenage-kicks/los-lobos-on-paul-simon-do-you-1/

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love the song and did not know it was based on a Bach chorale.
    That's cool.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This is the chorale from St. Matthew Passion:

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That is very cool. And if you hadn't pointed it out, if I was just hearing the Bach piece, I would recognize that the melody is familiar, but I don't think I would have put the two together.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

A friend of mine did some work for Simon years ago and has similar feelings about him.

"Concert in Central Park" was one of about four cassettes my parents had in the rotation when we traveled when I was a kid, and even though I've heard it about eleventy billion times I still love it.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That was my first concert -- my mom let me go for my 12th birthday. Sat so far back I could barely hear the music but it was still a great time.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jeez, I'd never heard that story. That's brutal.

As I was growing up my parents listened to a lot of Paul Simon and S & G. A month or so ago I was listening to Kornheiser's radio show and he started talking about what a genius Paul Simon is. I realized I didn't have any Paul Simon songs on my iPod, so I went online to download a Greatest Hits record from eMusic. Then I looked at the song list and realized... Jesus, I HATE all these songs.

Sorry to be the turd in the punch bowl. Carry on.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yikes. And whoever it was urging him to "keep it in the family" to avoid litigation might be worse than anything the group has said about Paul Simon.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Wow, weird thread because I myself have also been heavy into Simon and Garfunkel. Been watching old concert footage on YouTube (i.e Central Park in 1981) ... the music just hits you in a weird spot. My personal favorites are "Homeward Bound," "Kodachrome" and "Hazy Shade of Winter" -- but all their stuff is great.

Check out this video of Simon and John Lennon at the Grammys (w/ a special appearance by Garfunkel):

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Damn. That is freakin' surreal.

12. Mira

Mira Member

Every time I hear "Cecelia" on the radio, I crank up the volume. That song was so ahead of its time.

Draft saved Draft deleted