1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Shirley the writer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Anyone read his stuff on ESPN? He sure as hell is better than that Bill Walton guy(Steve Nash reminds me of Bill Russell ;D ). Well anyways, after reading his stuff, I've started root for him. He also has some really good articles about what goes on in the life of an NBA minor league player.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

"I am serious. And don't....."

[​IMG]

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"That Bill Walton guy"?!?

Shirley may be a better writer, but Walton is one of the greatest centers in history. Advantage: Big Red.

4. I was just thinking of a classic Walton line.

Forget the series, but it was the 2000 playoffs...probably Lakers-Blazers, conference finals...when Shaq dives headfirst into the front row trying to save a ball. A tiny woman jumps out of the way, looking terrified...the crowd gasps and murmurs...Costas doesn't say anything for a moment...and Walton jumps in with this: "JEEZ, lady. Stand up and take a charge."

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Oh I know Bill Walton. Portland Trail Blazers, NBA Champion etc.

Bill Walton: Great player,Horrible writer

6. Chuck, are you joking with any of this?

I'm not trying to be mean...I just wonder.

If you are joking, you have an enjoyably bizarre sense of humor. If not, you are still funny.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I stumbled on his stuff the other day. Read every available entry in one sitting. It's great, bittersweet, inside stuff. I wonder if there's a chance of folding it into book form, a better Basketball Diaries. It's hard not to root for the guy, impossible to like his chances at the Association at this pt.

YHS, etc

8. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted