1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Pasqualoni Hired at UConn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The University of Connecticut plans a news conference at 12:30 to announce Dallas Cowboys Defensive Coordinator Paul Pasqualoni is the new head football coach.

I don't know what kind of warts Whipple had, but this is kind of a suprise. (I realize he is a CT guy, but still seems like a bit of a safe pick to me). I just hope he can recruit and keep the few good players that CT has from going down south.

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_football/2011/01/yep-p-pasqualoni-it-is-dc-can.html

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The lack of response to this thread speaks VOLUMES.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Might also have to do with healthy discussion on coaching change thread.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Ought to be a wonderful pick by UConn; there was little to complain about during his time at Syracuse. If Syracuse-UConn becomes a bit of a heated football rivalry because of this, what would be wrong with that?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Just for laughs I took a peek at one of the UConn messageboards yesterday and I would put what I read up as a perfect example of fanboi idiocy.

There was a thread on Pasqualoni in which the the majority of the posters were against the hire and several bitched that they should have hired Mark Whipple because he was a perfect fit.

But a few threads below that was a thread on Mark Whipple that was started when it appeared he was going to get the job in which the majority bitched that Tom Bradley should get the job because HE was a perfect fit.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For a state not known for it's football a pretty fair amount of big time coaches got their start in CT.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Looking back, he just ran his course at Syracuse. The program becoming mediocre, and when a loss to Temple costs you a BCS berth -- you're in trouble. Then again, it took so long for the Orange to get back on track after he left, hindsight is 20/20. Syracuse would've got Ray Rice if Coach P stayed. Instead he went to Rutgers and boosted them for a while.

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Lou Holtz and Sam Rutigliano were on the same staff in the mid-60s, I believe.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Scott Piloi, Eric Mangini, Coach Hoodie, Tony Sparano, Mark Whipple (Miami OC, candidate for UConn job), Temple HC Steve Adazio just off the top of my head have CT ties.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

While it may not be saying much, also Kevin Gilbride, Dick Jauron, and Dave Campo.

Draft saved Draft deleted