1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Krugman on Ezra Klein

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm posting this in Sports & News because it's news that Klein is leaving the Washington Post. But most importantly, though, I wanted to draw attention to this passage on the art of journalism, which I think is dead-on:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/21/the-washington-post-is-de-kleining/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&smid=tw-NytimesKrugman&seid=auto&_r=1&

Here’s the problem: When you’re covering policy, the usual tools of journalism — cultivating sources, pounding the pavement, pulling out the Rolodex — just won’t cut it. You have to have people who actually understand the policy issues — people who can pound a spreadsheet, or whose Rolodex includes academic experts as well as DC flacks.

"Otherwise what you get at best is he-said-she-said reporting — what I mocked many years ago as responding to claims that the earth is flat with the headline “Views differ on shape of planet.”

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The same Ezra Klein who has such little regard for editing that he said, "I write to publish — I don't write to revise"?

I'm not sure I care what he thinks about the art of journalism.

3. printit

printit Member

I have often thought reporting, done correctly, is like trial work, done correctly. You of course need to know the rules of evidence, procedure, etc., but if you don't understand how to get good experts and/or don't understand what the hell those experts are talking about and/or can't communicate that to a jury, you will lose. Same thing here.

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

The new project:

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/1/26/5348212/ezra-klein-vox-is-our-next

Draft saved Draft deleted