1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Konerko: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 2, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Then it's on the players. The guy has been horrible offensively since the beginning of May. The point still stands. It wasn't having to put guys from every AL team on the roster that kept Konerko from making it. There was room. There were also bad choices.

2. I think the better current Chisox to the HOF Fodder for Discussion would be Mark Buehrle. He averages 14 wins a year and is only 32, so he could have 250+ W's in the 5-man rotation era.

I also say that if Rusty Staub had stayed in the AL, he would have gotten 3000 hits and been in the Hall, too.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

MB has his adherents/fans . . . but the main threat to his ascension is himself . . . you keep hearing the retirement rumors.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Eh, I don't know about that. As Crash Davis astutely noted, In the show, EVERYBODY can hit a fastball.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The man has a 3.84 career ERA. He's an above-average innings eater who has no business whatsoever in a Hall of Fame discussion.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah. Poor man's Tom Glavine.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"above-average" innings eater

may be faint praise. It can be argued he's easily the sui generis AL innings eater of the last decade, plus.

8. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

He oughtta be in the HOF for the speed he works, if nothing else.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Concepcion got a lot of exposure for being on the Big Red Machine (Game of the Week, WS, etc.) but he was also helped by being able to play half his games on the turf (although he gets credit for perfecting the mid-hop throw on turf.) I can still see him lunging and slapping the ball down the right field line. He was one smooooooth SS.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ozzie Guillen was a better shortstop than most people are currently willing to give him credit for.

11. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I don't think Konerko belongs in the HOF. Not yet, anyway. But he does deserve to become approximately the 57th White Sox player with his number retired on the outfield wall. Do they even have numbers left to give out anymore? Jerry loves retiring those things.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is Chipper Jones a lock HOFer or does he deserve his own thread. Career .304 .403 .532
    1 batting title, 1 MVP. Never led the league in anything besides his batting crown.

Post-season(92 games, 400+ plate appearance):.288 .411 .459

no gold gloves, 1 silver slugger.

2500+ hits 1500+ RBI 440+ HRs

Defensively? Better than good, not great?

Draft saved Draft deleted