1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Konerko: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 2, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I loved watching Harold Baines play baseball. He is one of the vastly underrated players from the 1980's. I think there is a group of players from the 80's that are not appreciated for how good they were...guys like Baines, Shawon Dunston, Chili Davis, Eric Davis, Dave Concepcion, Willie McGee and a lot of others. These guys, a cut below those even mentioned as being HOF worty, just kind of disappeared.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm with you on Concepcion, who I felt was a great player. I look at the stats and they don't back it up, but I remember him being the best SS around for awhile before Ripken and Ozzie came along.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Konerko may not be a Hall-of-Famer, but he sure as hell is an All-Star.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Concepcion had some pretty good years. But here's one to ponder, if Konerko is HOF material, what does that say for a guy like Barry Larkin who I think had a better career?

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

true dat (but he's not a Hall of Famer IMHO)

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Too many dead-meat AL teams they need to throw a bone to, to make that happen. Too bad.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As long as a guy like Russell Martin is on the roster, that just isn't true.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't think Konerko has played catcher in a couple years... Not exactly a great crop of talent there, with the struggles of Carlos Santana and others in the early season.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Martin is the third catcher, not the backup. They could have easily gone with two as the National League did this year.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I think Larkin should be in the Hall eventually. He was an MVP and won a title. Great glove and solid stick. Far worse players are in.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Martin was voted in by the players.

Draft saved Draft deleted