1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Konerko: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Vizquel has a career OPS of .691.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To be fair, that is actually higher than Ozzie Smith's career OPS, which was .666.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Omar probably manages to sneak in, thanks to all of the counting stats and the gold gloves, even though the eye test and the advanced stats suggest that there is Ozzie Smith, and then there is everyone else.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

No. He could be a veterans pick years later but that's iffy.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Konerko has a chance if he was nice to the writers. That seems to be every bit as important as stats and other accomplishments.

If Albert Belle only managed 3 percent of the vote, Konerko shouldnt have a chance.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

This Konerko discussion is our worst HOF debate ever... Everyone agrees! :)

I say no on Helton and yes on Omar, but both are borderline and I may come up with different answers when it's time to really vote.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Just looking at his B-R page, Vizquel made $68K his rookie season and turned that into $61M in career earnings.

For a guy who hit .300 once.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

That non-Coors Field slash line, especially for average and on-base, is stilly pretty good. It's not like some of the other crazy splits that Coors has caused. It'd be one thing if he was a career .238 hitter in that many at-bats on the road. And I know the eras are different, but no one held Mel Ott's splits due to his home park against him.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And as for Vizquel, I'd put him in as well. Compare his numbers against others at his position and he is already better than almost every shortstop in the Hall. He certainly wouldn't bring down the position by putting him in.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Unlike Bags, Konerko hasn't made a career of choking on the money.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Konerko doesn't suffer from the self-imposed sky-high asshole rating Joey accumulated.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bottom line . . . this question can't be answered yet. The Energizer Bunny needs to keep going, a while longer. 500 HRS would be huge.

Side note: As we all know, Pauly just passed Hal Baines for career home runs. As an overall TALENT,
    a case can be made (ship has sailed, I know, but still . . . ) that #3 was a legit HOF TALENT. But
    he never won a Series. And the fact that he played so many years in a park far more pitcher-unfriendly than the Cell hurt his power numbers.

More work to be done, here. If Konerko retired today, I'd say no. But the finish line remains a ways away.

Draft saved Draft deleted