1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Konerko: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 2, 2011.

1. daman

daman New Member

I don't think Konerko's THAT good a defender. Certainly not a gold glover. Great career; not a hall of famer.

He's maybe the best pure fastball hitter in the majors, though.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's what I was wondering about. I know Konerko is a good first baseman, but I got the impression that a few people are over-rating just how good he is with the glove. Does anybody think he is up there with Teixeira and Adrian Gonzalez defensively?

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Within his range, which I'll grant is not the greatest overall, he's very, very good, and he is one of the best I've ever seen at the "scoop" catch on short throws to first. Anyone who has watched the Sox over the years knows he's saved countless runs, potential and otherwise.

4. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

If anything, he's underrated as a defender.

As to the HOF, it's premature.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If he gets over 500, he will have a chance, but I don't know if that would be enough.

I agree he's very underrated.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

he's very good scooping throws. obviously, he's no tex or gonzalez. nor is he pujols. and several others, including the ex-tampa home-run hitter, are markedly better overall. don't see him enough to know little/big things, like throwing to second to start dp's and such.

again, he's hall of very good worthy, both offensively and defensively, w/o a doubt.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You're right. He's not Pujols. And it would be easier if you just prefaced posts such as the previous one with, "I don't have anything tangible to back up what I 'm going to say, but I'll throw put some well-known proper nouns and see what sticks." It would save time.

8. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

He's sure no Don Mattingly.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

What would 'tangible' in this discussion regarding konerko's defense adding to his potential hof resume'? what's the problem, man? his defense is good, but not as good as most of the others named in this discourse. much like he's a very good hitter, but just not as good as many others listed here.

why so serious?

10. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I once knew a Cubs fan who would argue like no other than Mark Grace should be in the HOF.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

What about Omar Vizquel? Best defensive shortstop I have ever seen (well, tied for the best with Ozzie) and an underrated offensive player. Over 2,800 career hits, over 400 sb and nearly 1,000 RBI. I think his glove is good enough to get him in. Mazeroski and Ozzie are in...Omar should go in as well.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Mazeroski should not be used as an argument for a player to get in. He doesn't belong. The voters shouldn't compound a veteran's committee mistake with one of their own.

Draft saved Draft deleted