1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Konerko: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 2, 2011.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Have you asked him or are you just being glib?

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm shocked at how high you have Mo Vaughn, however, I like the idea of your approach. One thing I loved about Bill James' old "rank the players in the HoF" books is that you could easily see and read why he picked one guy over another.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I understand being open-minded on this, but if Dale Murphy (and many others) can't get an honest hearing anymore then there's no reason a lesser player like Kingman should.

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I'm pretty comfortable with the rankings down through Cabrera, after that its harder to rank them. The point was to see just how many players at his position have better HOF cases than Konerko. And there are quite a few

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Kingman never finished higher than 11th in MVP voting, was terrible defensively, struck out a lot and led the league in homeruns one year while batting .204....

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

We're so blessed that Kingman was such a douche, sufficiently-so to keep him out of the HOF on humanitarian grounds.

7. Actually, he said "Rats!"

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

anyone making an argument for kingman in the hof couldn't POSSIBLY have seen him play for any extended period. if you had and would still make an argument for him, well, turn in your baseball acumen card at the door and drive home safely.

he's a guy i can only imagine a youngin' examining his 'numbers' and thinking, 'wow, ya know, this fella really fell through the cracks. what a power hitter in the pre-steroid era!'

forget his personality. who gives a spit? but he rarely came through in the 'clutch,' much too vulnerable to the strikeout, was among the WORST defensive players of his time, was despised by his teammates/was a cancer in the clubhouse.

the guy hit home runs. bravo for him. there wasn't a single other aspect of his game that anyone would dare describe as so much as even 'average.' the man was the very definition of a 'losing' player.

oh, man, would spnited wanted in on this discussion!

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does Susan Fornoff have a HOF vote? :D

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Mi
    Ouch...

Didn't any SJer have a run-in with him as a kid? I vaguely remember something on a thread awhile back that was pretty douchey on Kingman's part.

And Schockey thanks for bringing up lack of "clutch," I remember him being the guy who did absolutely nothing to help a team as well.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I will say this. As bad as Kingman sending the rat to Fornoff was, McGwire taking the baseball from the kid and signing the names of a bunch of serial killers was worse.

12. And, of course, Kingman and McGwire both entered USC as Pitchers.

Draft saved Draft deleted