1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Haggis vs. the Church of Scientology

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Feb 7, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

And somehow the NYT neglected to note that Scientology blatantly plagiarized an Apple ad from 1997.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/copyranter/scientology-super-bowl-ad-sounds-very-familiar

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Scientology's ad cracked me up. "Truth" is not a religion concocted by a science fiction writer.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So Lawrence Wright has teamed up with Alex Gibney to make "Going Clear" for HBO and...meh. It's sorta underwhelming, compared to the New Yorker article.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The Tampa Bay Times has its own cottage industry of digging up Scientology's secrets, since it has a large presence in Clearwater. Some interesting reading if you are so inclined. Shady, shady shit.

reformedhack likes this.
  6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Really would like to see it, but I don't pay for HBO. Maybe they'll have a free weekend on DirecTV soon.

7. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I second that. The Times has done an excellent job of shining a light on this secretive, scary organization.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It was free last weekend. I got on through On Demand. Haven't had a chance to watch all of it yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted