1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Goydos shoots 59 at the John Deere Classic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Jul 8, 2010.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I started to wonder what would feel worse — shoot a 59 and have a one-shot lead, or shoot a 60 and be one shot back. And then I realized I would be happy as hell to shoot either for 18 holes.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Good thing Stricker didn't also shoot 59. Then somebody here would insist that 59 is devalued, just like perfect games in baseball now are.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm familiar with 59. Then I play those last 12 holes.

Good for Goydos ... get the impression that he gets it. Devoted father to his daughters, and the sort who will bypass a tournament if it conflicts with family obligations.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hell, I'd be happy with a 59 on the front nine and a 60 on the back.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Of all the pros on Tour to shoot a 59, he would not have been my first pick.

Quick, now, who scores the first eagle at next week's British Open?

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Interesting that most of the 59s have been shot by guys who weren't really big names, David Duval being the exception. I believe Tiger Woods' best round as a professional is 61.

But the greats don't always perform the greatest feats. It's like when you realize that only two members of the 500 Home Run Club - Willie Mays and Mike Schmidt - ever hit four in a major league game. Pat Seerey, with 86 career homers, did it. Babe Ruth, however, did not.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Reminiscient of the line Dennis Hull often uses at banquets: "I signed a million dollar contract with the Blackhawks. Only problem was I couldn't get them to sign it."

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I was a banquet with both Dennis Hull and Jim Ralph once (Ralph was the after-dinner speaker). The two of them just carved the shit out of each other.

Ralph actually used that line about Hull. He also said this:

"They used to say Bobby Hull could shoot the puck through a car wash and it wouldn't even get wet. Dennis Hull could shoot the puck just as hard, he just couldn't hit the car wash."

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Couple years ago Goydos was was in the lead (or close to it) after three rounds in (I think) the Players Championship. Bob Costas asked him how he slept the previous night. "On my back" was his response.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Not to take anything away from yesterday's feat, but it should at least be noted that this was on a par 71, while Geibeger's, Beck's and Duval's were at a par 72.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Good for him, I've rooted for him since reading about him in "A Good Walk Spoiled".

Draft saved Draft deleted