1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Allen/Blazers Now Trigger Happy and Chaos in the Air...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, May 23, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

After less than a year, the Blazers fired Rich Cho, their GM.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/nba/05/23/blazers.cho.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a5&eref=sihp

You'd have thought the Blazers traded Oden and Roy for Thabeet. All Cho did was endure injuries to the two biggest stars, then do a brillant trade to get Wallace to reenergize the team into the playoffs and they fire the guy less than a year later? There better be some undisclosed pictures or some insubordination because that's ridiculous. Cho is run out after a year like that, yet Billy Knight gets job after job?

I've applauded Allen for not sitting around idly like Donald Sterling and actually trying, unlike my Warriors but this is desperation. Like he's going to get someone respectable now?

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I thought the Pritchard firing was also undeserved. Allen indeed does appear to be trigger happy.

3. Simon

Simon Active Member

This. Pritchard didn't even come close to earning a pink slip.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Paul Allen will never own a team that wins a championship. His wallet will ensure that his teams are talented, but his management style is deadly. Either meddle a lot (Jerry Jones, Cuban, Al Davis, Steinbrenner) or not at all. The way it is now, his underlings have to consult Allen's biorhythms before making a decision.
    Sounds like the kind of boss you can never reach on the phone, but will call you at all hours to bitch about a move you made without his input. The press conference sounded like they'll be using eHarmony to find the new GM.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Last time this team was worth a damn was when he had just bought it over 20 years ago.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Big wonder why his various business enterprises struggle. He's had various people serve as his "buffer" to the outside world, someone who can save Allen from himself - but I imagine the paycheck for that gig is too big to for some to be effective and not big enough for someone to do it well.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually, they should have made the Finals in 2000. And would have, if not for gagging a 15-point lead with 10:28 to play in Game 7 of the West Finals against the Lakers. That kind of set the tone in the West for the rest of the decade.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You're right. I'd totally forgotten that game. Didn't they gag away, like, a 22 point lead?

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I feel bad for Blazers fans, arguably the best in the league. They don't deserve this crap.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'll be interested to see how this shakes out because the new GM is from my hometown. My younger brother played baseball and basketball against Buchanan as a kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted