1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patsy Ramsey, don't RIP

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Jun 24, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

While that reaction may be a bit strong, TSP has a point.

A retraction is appropriate.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, it's definitively the other way now.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I don't think anything's definitive yet. I think this story's going to get much worse, and more convoluted, before it gets better.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

This story is begging for a highly talented author to write a blockbuster book that simultaneously explains how the police screwed up in fingering the Ramseys and how this guy was found. I nominate Jeffrey Toobin.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I don't think we'll ever know the full truth. Psychopath fuckwads like Dennis Rader, who want their stories to be told truthfull and in full detail, are rare. I don't think we'll get the full truth here.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The very first thing I thought about when I saw the news is South Park. If -- that's IF -- the parents were in no way involved, Stone and Parker might really look foolish. And I was one of the people laughing the hardest during that episode.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

So, let me get this straight...you get pissy because we declared Patsy guilty, but since there is an arrest, this person is guilty, case closed?

Go fuck myself, TSP? I think not.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

How 'bout the Mad TV skits? That's actually how I picture the Ramsey's. I have no idea what they really look like.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Markvid.....why are you so sure that the mother did it? Just wondering.......

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Fair question, Ashy...
    I don't think they did it, but I always thought they were involved somehow (as in they knew what happened) after all the stalling and thumbing of their noses they did at the police.
    Who knows how much faster this could have been solved if the parents weren't instead spending their time going from morning show to morning show proclaiming their innocence.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Isn't the whole thing fascinating?

I sure as hell never thought something like this would happen.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I guess if the Boulder police had had a leg to stand on in their investigation of the Ramseys, they would have sought a court order requiring the parents to submit samples.

Since the police apparently had no legal justification to pursue charges against the Ramseys, John and Patsy were well within their rights to refuse to provide samples to the police. You might say, well, if they had nothing to hide, why wouldn't they cooperate? Maybe they were angry that too much attention was being focused on them and not enough attention was being given to actually investigating the murder.

Pretty much the same thing happened in the Duke lacrosse case -- the players were not required to cooperate with the investigation, so they didn't. They were vindicated. Of course, they had already been convicted in the court of public opinion, just like the Ramseys were, and the shadow may well hang over them for the rest of their lives. Innocent until proven guilty? Sure, and the guys who were tortured in Vietnamese POW camps love to refer to the late '60s and the early '70s as "the good old days."

The really sad part is the realization that we get off on complaining about just how bad things are in the rest of the world, where the people need our "guidance" to show them the way to "democracy." Spare me.

Draft saved Draft deleted