1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pats fans petition Goodell to investigate last 1:40 of Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Feb 8, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So you agree that this is ridiculous, and that the people involved deserve to be mocked for it, but when others do it they should be careful not to fall on something sharp?

Surely you understand when things like this happen, it reflects badly on all the fans, not just those who have either posted like idiots here or those who have signed this petition. New England fans as a whole are developing a terrible reputation for boorishness, and this only perpetuates and even adds to that concept.

As for Specter poking his nose in, aren't you a little curious as to why the NFL destroyed all the evidence it got from the Patriots? With everything else that has come out, it appears the league may have been trying to cover something up.

While it may not be the most pressing need for this country, the fact that the biggest league in the country may not have been playing on a level field since the turn of the century would be a big deal to a lot of people.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wait a minute ... the petition is claiming that the clock was unfairly stopped after Jacobs' first down, right? So wouldn't that benefit the Pats, who took over possession with 35 seconds left? Am I missing something here? Didn't the Pats get the ball with MORE time than they should have had (if what they allege in the petition is true)?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Stop making sense!

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This whole claim is ridiculously whiny bullshit. There are slight timing discrepancies that make a few seconds difference in nearly every game, except most games aren't scruitinized like the Super Bowl so they often pass unnoticed. This is just nonsense, pitiful pat fans desperately looking for some possible way to claim that they were screwed, nothing more.

5. If it were limited to, "look at the jackasses who created this petition," I'd probably have to apologize for missing my mark. But as friend of a friend proved, on this board, if you happen to agree with someone who's being mocked, you must also be mocked, even if you agree with that person (or persons) on only the most superficial level. Folks who like the Patriots have been the biggest target on here. "Your team cheats, and you're a fanboy, and you can't see the truth." Meanwhile, a U.S. FUCKING SENATOR starts poking his nose into the affairs of a sports league (albeit the big one) right around the super bowl, and nobody seems to think that's odd. I guarantee you this: If it were a team generally liked more by the folks on this board (for real reasons or imagined ones), Specter would have his picture on the dart board instead of Belichick. But hey, that's how it goes, no one here should be expected to be objective, certainly.

See, you use that phrase, "as a whole," but what you're really referring to are the loudest, most obnoxious of the group. I guarantee you that New England fans, by proportion, have no greater a level of jackasses than any other team in the country. But New England teams have been successful, so the fan base has grown, so they're a little greater in number now. That doesn't mean that anyone who happens to root for the Red Sox or Patriots is, in some way by the relative property of jackassery, ALSO an asshole. But of course, that means shades of grey, and we don't do that on SportsJournalists.com, do we? Fuck you if I can't make a snap decision about you, you MUST be a fanboi.

6. See, now, THAT, I can get on board with.

7. KOBM, did you miss Specter getting blasted on this board?

8. I guess I must have. Was there a big hue and cry about it? I suppose I might not have seen it, since I've generally been able to tolerate this board for about 35 seconds at a time for the last few months.

9. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

The glass on my Smug Detector just cracked.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't know which clock these fans were looking at, but I guarantee you the Fox clock didn't work as early as the first quarter.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Apparently he missed anything that doesn't fit into his argument.

People do jump to the fanboy thing a bit much around here, but it seems quite appropriate on this thread.

And KOBM, if it bothers you so much, the World Wide Web is a wonderful thing that offers many other diversions for your time.

12. Call me smug if you want. I've participated on this board for more than three years, and all it's done in the last year or so is get fucking ridiculous. There are pockets of time when people act like sane human beings, and sometimes, when the planets align, it even seems like a board full of people who love sports and are professional about their jobs. But mostly it's been the grade of low-level bantering that would probably do just fine on Around the Horn. Lots of yelling, 17 posts of blather in between actual insight, and of course (of COURSE), bashing people who can't be all intelligent and objective about sports like us.

So yeah, fine, I'm fucking smug. I'll take it.

Draft saved Draft deleted