1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patriots Win Suit to Get Ticket Sellers' Names from StubHub

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Are the Patriots not selling out these days? They had the chance to set the ticket prices the first time they sold them. It's like Ford going after folks for selling a 1957 Mustang for profit.

2. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Del, the same argument was used with Napster and was defeated at every legal level.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the comparable is here, Jersey.

You could make the case that NAPSTER was copyright violation and/or out and out theft.

Can't make the same claim about re-selling a product which you've already purchased.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

People aren't Xeroxing tickets and selling them, so it's not the same. I can sell the physical CDs I purchased. I've never had a problem with record companies/artists going after the likes of Napster. That's well within their rights, although artists like Wilco have turned that stuff on its head by sharing their music and allowing concert taping while becoming more popular.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks. You said it much better.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Good to know the Patriots respect their fans' right to privacy. The league's most dishonest and secretive organization when it comes to injury reports and its own obligations needs to spy on its fans because they might be committing the sin of selling their tickets without giving the Pats a cut. Fascist tactics that are just another reason to dislike the Patriots.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It sure ain't capitalism.

Yet another reason why the idea that the NFL is such a fanfriendly league is utter bullshit. They play fans like little puppets.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This is nothing like Napster and file sharing. That is a process of duplication. Tickets cannot be duplicated.

I purchased my car. If I want to sell it for a higher price, I should be allowed to.
    I purchased season tickets. If I can't go to the game and some idiot wants to give me twice the face value for that ticket, I should be allowed to.

This is bullshit.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If they haven't already I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats set up their own ticket-brokering service like the Cubs did and scalp their own tickets.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You mean like this Tickmaster ticket exchange?

11. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Two things: First, the same exact argument (right to resell) was raised as a defense by Napster. Whether you agree with it or not, that was part of their defense, and was totally rejected.

Secondly, you're all ignoring the obvious similarity with Napster: What these ticket-holders are doing is plain and simply both against the law and a violation of the terms of sale they agree to. Don't like that? Change the law. But to rip the Patriots for attempting to enforce the terms of sale and the law ... I don't get it.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup.

There was an interview last year with a Sabres Fan who has season tickets.

He sells the tickets to the four Leafs games.

The sale pays for all the tickets to the remaining 37 home games.

Draft saved Draft deleted