1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patriots cut WR night before Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Feb 4, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Like this.

This too.

It could be Belichick being a dick, it could be disciplinary ... or it could be some undisclosed injury situation with a front-liner that has a trickle-down effect on special teams. The lineman would be a lot more valuable as a blocker on the kick-return team, for instance. Maybe they're going to have someone test an injury before the game and they have no other backup if that guy doesn't play, whereas Underwood is guaranteed to be inactive anyway.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if they kept Underwood on the roster because they were worried about Gronk's health. i.e. If he can't go, we need to use more wide receivers. But if you're relatively sure about Gronk's health, then I'm sure you can always use another big body on the line, whether it's to sub out for a guy in the regular rotation or for an all-out rush on a punt or field goal block.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Some writer needs to weasel in and watch the game with this guy.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Good stuff.

And I can see cutting the kid, but why do it this late in the week? Definitely a dick move, unless it actually is disciplinary or there is an injury somewhere that necessitated this. I know the team probably felt it needed the lineman more than a sixth receiver or whatever he was. But they didn't know this a few days ago?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Now this is a story I'd like to see NBC find room for in their six-hour pre-game. Who tells him he's cut? Does he have to move out of the hotel? Move in with his family in town for the game?

I'll root for the Giants a little harder tomorrow.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yawn. It's the NFL. Why is anyone surprised? Seriously. There is no sentiment in pro football.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If he was a good enough player, he wouldn't have been cut. Blame the NFLPA for agreeing to the roster rules.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely. Of if you're the Globe/Herald, track him down tonight and get it for tomorrow, even though everything is put to bed. A great story to pursue.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I imagine he just stays with the team and gets shifted to the practice squad, no?

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Why would they need him for that now?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As the saying goes, the NFLPA is as useless as a eunuch at a gang bang. Please.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe Belichick wanted to cut Underwood so he could bring in Amani Toomer as a consultant.

Draft saved Draft deleted