1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patriotism - Explain the psychology

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 18, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

And I'm sure this is true for many.

Just to clarify, I'm not scoffing at those who flail about for community and identity. I've done the same. Just saying that it makes people very susceptible to suggestion.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

AlleyAllen asked me to post what I posted on the Lee Greenwood thread here, so here it is:

The best response I've heard to the "liberals hate America" line was from Al Franken.
    To Rush Limbaugh and people like that, loving America means loving America like a 4-year-old loves his mother. It doesn't matter what she does, how she treats others, etc. she's still his mother and she can do no wrong.
    When people criticize what the Bush administration has done, it doesn't mean they hate America, they love it, but they love it the same way a parent loves a child who is getting into trouble. He's disappointed and expresses that disappointment. He wants the kid to do better; he knows he can do better and he lets him know that. It may seem to the kid that the parent doesn't love him, but he (or she) does.

3. "Love it or leave it" drives me nuts.
    This country was founded by guys who strove for more. The Constitution was amended almost immediately (no need for a history lesson; I know the Bill of Rights came later, but they had the agreement in place before they ratified the Constitution). That is what America is all about -- a great start and a country that can be made even better by those who don't love certain aspects of this nation.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Sounds like you need to leave it, hippie (red, white and blue font, the font that never runs).

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

great initial post, WI.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I can't stand that viewpoint, either. I honestly think a lot of the "patriotism" you see is shown more out of a trendy sense than a true patriotic pride. That makes me sick.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That, sir, is one solid line right there. You are rapidly becoming a well-appreciated member here. Welcome aboard.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. Interesting thread. I am from NYC and was there when 9/11 happened. Instantly, everyone became Uncle Sam, and at the time I thought it was a great thing. I walked down the block and there wasn't a house or apartment building that didn't have an American flag attached. I think this sort of patriotism was already there, but it took a national tragedy to bring it out. The thing that bothered me in the weeks and month after 9/11 was where was this patriotism before? It only seems to come out in the face of tragedy or war (First Gulf War is a great example). I was 22 back when 9/11 happened and my opinions have changed since then and I view the patriotism thing a lot different now.

I have to make a lot of overseas calls at a trade pub I'm working at now. I call England, Ireland, France and most of Europe. When I get off the phone sometimes I wonder what it would be like to live in those countries. I know some people would love to be surrounded by the history and culture of those places, but not me. There is nothing like this country and although I'm not bursting with national pride, I'll defend this country for the most part. It's funny talking about people not liking their hometowns, etc., but I take more pride in being from Brooklyn and Puerto Rican more than anything else.

10. I don't think I explained the my view of the psychology, just my overall thoughts on patriotism.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I think sometimes people get complacent about what the country means to them...the whole you don't know what you've got till it's gone axiom.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The majority of people believe a man in the sky doesn't want teenagers to touch themselves. How genuine is anybody's skepticism?

Draft saved Draft deleted