1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patrick Willis: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 9, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't think Pro Bowls matter unless you haven't been selected, meaning, I would use it against someone's induction, but probably not for it because it can be very misleading because of injuries, etc...

All-Pro is best player at your position in the league.

2. RecoveringJournalist

Hell, Seau only made it one more time than he did.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Over/under on number of RecoveringJournalist posts on this thread is now set at 45.5.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No doubt. Wasn't it his junior year when he led the SEC in tackles while playing most of the season with a broken hand?

As to your overall take, I agree. In fact, when the movie came out I thought of Willis and how his story could have been a more poignant plot.

5. RecoveringJournalist

Take the over. :D

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Hall of Famer? Yes, but I had to think about it. To me, it just came down to him being the most dominant player at his position for the entirety of his, albeit brief, career.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

There are 26 linebackers in the hall. They count a guy like Chris Doleman under linebacker.

Since 1988, they have put in 12.
    Ham, Lambert, Singletary, Taylor, Seau, Rickey Jackson and Derrick Brooks were first ballot.
    Ted Hendricks, Chris Doleman and Andre Tippett took 2 tries
    Derrick Thomas took five tries.
    Harry Carson took 7 tries.

8. RecoveringJournalist

Jackson was not first ballot.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Derrick Brooks, who went in on the first ballot, had the same number of All-Pro selections as Willis.

To be fair, Zach Thomas is also a five-time All-Pro.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I always thought Willie Roaf would be the first primarily Saints player to reach Canton. Obviously I was wrong.

I may be taken to the woodshed for saying this but I've sometimes wondered if Jackson was even the best linebacker in that Dome Patrol group.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

12. RecoveringJournalist

The similar players listed through eight seasons include Thomas, Singletary, Ham, Lambert, Seau...

Draft saved Draft deleted