1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patrick Swayze has pancreatic cancer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

He says he expects to live up to two more years, zag.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Wow. My neighbor was about 65 when he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He was diagnosed in April -- he was gone in September.

I seem to recall a discussion I had with him in which he said that one of the biggest problems is it is hard to detect early because there aren't many symptons -- and thus when it is detected it is usually in its later stages.

Does this sound correct?

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

That's pretty much it. Steve Jobs also has pancreatic cancer, but his is a rarer type that's easier to detect, and thus he was able to gain some time. The more common type is difficult to detect until it has invaded other organs, and by then you've usually got months or weeks left.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i've said it before on here but it's worth sharing again. yes, pancreatic cancer is a bitch of a disease; very hard to detect and very fast-acting. but that doesn't mean it can't be beat. mom was given 6 months to a year back in 1999 and she's still with us (and extremely healthy in her mid-70s) 10 years later. chemo, radiation, surgery and lots of prayer can bring miracles.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

See, this is what happens when you don't dredge up months-old threads with updates. You get a public spanking!

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i pray for the best -- that patrick beats the odds. but he sure looked like he's on death's door with baba. for those planning on watching tonight, brace yourselves.

for a so-so talent, he's headlined three movies i have trouble changing channels on: dirty dancing, ghost and roadhouse. not a bad resume.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

I'm not sure that I can. Cancer is an evil bastard.

8. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

My mother was diagnosed in July of 2007 and died on Sept. 29 the same year. My mom had monthly doctor appointments because she'd had a stroke a few years earlier, and she still wasn't diagnosed until the later stages of the disease.

It's one of the worst kinds of cancer you can get.

Cleveland TV and radio sportscaster Casey Coleman also died of pancreatic cancer a couple of years ago.

9. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Um, what? Donnie Darko anyone??

10. Flash

Flash Guest

OK, yeah he just got me when she asked him how long he thinks he has.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Love Swayze, he's my favorite actor. Red Dawn, Road House, Point Break are the movies of my youth. Just the right amount of drama/action/camp. Heck, I still remember watching Point Break in a theatre on a huge screen in 1991. It was a pure adrenaline rush.

Of course, we never really know the athletes we cover/covered. However, I already wanted to have the sense that Patrick Swayze was a decent guy and I believe that came across on the screen. Just seemed like a good person above his acting skills.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

WOLVERINES, Patrick!

Draft saved Draft deleted