1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patrick Swayze dying?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Mar 5, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow. My prayers to the Swayze family if this is true.

Cancer is a brutal enemy. I know first hand.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

His wiki doesn't list any children either.

3. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Awful, awful news. I hope he fights the good fight. Good luck Patrick.

And, the first Patrick Swayze movie I remember seeing was a late 70s movie called "Skatetown USA." It was one of those roller disco movies that were all the rage around 30 years ago. Swayze played a "badass" roller skater named Ace. I was about 7 years old at the time, and pissed off at my mom for not naming me Ace. :)

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Ugh ... hope he can give this thing a fight. All the best, Mr. Swayze.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We just buried Grandma Matador Monday. One year ago she was healthy and full of piss and vinegar. In July she couldnt keep solid foods down and was diagnosed with mesothelioma (sp), a form of lung cancer caused by asbestos. Sept. she began treatment, December and Jan her condition began to improve and Thursday we got the news that she died. A woman who never smoked a day in her life and hated the fact that I did/do/whatever that day's mood brings dies of lung cancer. I know life ain't fair, but it shouldn't be allowed to be coached by Bill Bellicheck.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry for your loss, Matador.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Odd personal story, as it relates to this situation.

So I'm driving down the interstate today on just about the longest possible drive my company forces you to make (rather than buy a plane ticket), and the XM radio that was promised by the rental car doesn't work (I could have just brought the Sirius from my car, had I known). Any way, I listened to my iPod most of the way, with some sports talk radio and NPR political stuff on the side ... and then it occurs to me ... I haven't listened to an actual radio station in several months, maybe longer than a full year. I always drive my girlfriend, so we're hardly ever in her car, and when we are, I either bring my ipod or my sirius for the trip.

Anyway, I flip on the radio to see what was happening these days in Clear Channel-controlled radio world. WOW. Horrible times 10. Effing yuck. Classic Rock, Top 40, R&B, some hip-hip (edited hip-hop, I mean). Bad, bad, bad.

But that wasn't the best part. "Hungry Eyes" came on one of the channels, and I laughed my ass off and called my mom.

Hammer Pants: "Hey, remember that song you made me listen to from Dirty Dancing, that horrible, horrible movie about a bunch of people dancing somewhere?"
    Hammer Pants' Mom: "Of course! (starts singing "Hungrrrrryyy Eyeeeessss").
    HP: "Yeah, that's the one. I can't believe you made me watch that shit as a kid. You and (HP's now-21-year-old sister) made me listen to that shit for hours a day. For like a month straight. I am just as angry at both of you right now as I was years ago!"
    HP's Mom: "Sounds like your problem. I still like the song. (walking outside her office to go outside and sing "Hungrrrrryyy Eyeeeessss")
    HP: Lovely, as always. Hey, I'm going to pull into this Starbucks here. I've gotta go.
    HP's Mom: "Uhhhhh, you know Patrick Swayze's going to die, right?"
    HP: "Aren't we all?"
    HP's Mom: "Sure, but not any day now."
    HP: "Wow, what he's got? Cancer, I guess.
    HP's Mom: "Yeah, pancreatic. It came out today."
    HP: "Wow. Bad timing for my rant, huh?"
    HP's Mom: "What do you think?"
    HP: "I think I should make a joke about Ghost, really."
    HP's Mom: ..............
    HP: "OK, sorry, bye mom, I'm at the Starbucks. I'll talk to you soon. I love you."
    HP's Mom: "I love you ... I hope you don't believe in Karma."

But here's the thing ... I do believe in Karma. I guess that means a big effing pile of fail is heading my way.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I can't imagine that the guy who did that Chippendales skit could possibly be an asshole.

I feel awful for him.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm carryin' toilets.

Hoping the best for Swayze. I've never heard anyone say a bad word about him as a person.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He's not dead yet!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. You mean like some of the posts on this thread? Not all, mind you, just a select few tasteless souls who use a thread announcing the guy likely has five years to live to make fun of his career?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Damn....sorry to hear about your loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted