1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patrick Roy at it again.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Oops! Carry on ...

crimsonace, the Central Hockey League may not be too impressive north of the border - almost goes without saying - but I had to follow a league for a year that was so bad that the Central Hockey League, by comparison, wasn't too bad.

Sad but true. JR knows about it. There was a guy on the team I covered that tried to start a fight, attempted to skate across the ice to provoke it and busted his butt near the center face-off circle. I couldn't stifle laughter in the press box ... yes, I'm going to hell.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I remember that story.

Sorry, leagues below the AHL (well, the ECHL sometimes) aren't even on the radar up here.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Understood, JR. You get more quality up there for reasons too obvious to mention.

Same with basketball where I'm from.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The Central Hockey League is indeed a fucking joke. I've been to about 10 CHL games over the past two years and didn't see a single pretty goal. All garbage. The team that wins is the team that sucks the least.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

And that has what to do with the major juniors?

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Crimsonace et al were picking up on part of my earlier post where I said something along the lines of "Roy better enjoy his time in junior because he will lucky to ever play at a higher level that the best he could likely hope for is that some Central Hockey League team to take a flyer on him because of his name."

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If memory serves, Roy was arrested for a domestic disturbance, not domestic abuse... I think he threw something against the wall and was brought in, but was never accused of hitting his wife.

I may be wrong, but that's the story I remember.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My apologies. That was a misunderstanding on my part. I thought there was some confusion with the CHL--I thought we were talking about the Canadian Hockey League but I missed your and Crimsonace's post on the Central Hockey League.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

It was neither. It was 'domestic violence.'

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D04E3DA1731F930A15753C1A9669C8B63

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

Why do Canadians take it so personally when someone slags hockey or hockey players?

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

and didn't daddy demand a trade when it got to 7-1?

12. Flash

Flash Guest

That's a ludicrous question. As I've mentioned on this board before, I don't base my patriotism on a sport. But I do find it rather troubling that someone might poke fun at the disease of alcoholism.

Call me crazy for standing up for something I believe, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted