1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patrick Reusse: Blogs can suck it

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, May 8, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://www.startribune.com/sports/18752054.html

Duh, citizen journalists!!!

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

That's what press releases are for.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

WTF is he writing about? And people thought No Country For Old Men had a bad ending. His tacked-on last paragraph comes out of nowhere, makes no sense, and detracts from the entire column.

4. captzulu

captzulu Member

Agreed. I kept waiting for him to get to the subject implied on the thread title, but all it was was the last graf. And of course, he bashes the "doesn't-cost-a-nickel" Internet site but heaps praise on a "costs-50-cents" newspaper. I didn't know 50 cents a copy buys you a staff.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That paper is beginning its union contract talks next week, right? Guess this is Reusse's way of telling the suits, hey, we matter!

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Was that column written in English? Jeebus.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Yeah, ESPN.com, CBSSports.com. SI.com .. they don't have the resources of a Star-Tribune. :)

Whenever I see columns like this all it does is remind me of Dana Carvey's grumpy old man character he had on SNL.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Maybe his point was that the shrinking news hole can't contain an entire column that starts, ends and explains itself in the middle?

9. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Read some of the comments. People are sick of us. I don't blame them, what with some of the pomposity we carry. And I love Reusse. Maybe he's been chilling with Sid too long.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Reusse's a prickly pain in the ass... and I read and relish every column he writes. Don't always agree with it, and sometimes his style is odd. But give me Reusses over Simmonses every damn time.

11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

What's funny is that some of the old-timers I work with talk this same way, like telling us how it once was somehow validates the argument that it should still be that way.

Nostalgia is a poor persuasive device.

12. I don't know why I even bother with reading comments after stuff like this. I know exactly what's going to happen.

Exhibit A:

Find some real work
    Bummer - no more free pressbox food, easy travel and 4 hour days.

posted by callmesnake on May. 7, 08 at 11:27 PM |
    27 of 68 people liked this comment.

Draft saved Draft deleted