1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patrick Kane rape investigation dropped by DA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 5, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Kane has already lost tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars due to his reputation being repeatedly and falsely tarnished by local and national media over a 2-3 month period.

Somehow, I don't think you would be nearly as cavalier about it if you or a member of your family were similarly harmed.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No worries - and you are a better man than I am if you are dealing with Best Buy.
    I do need to decide if I want to keep my 6 or upgrade to the 6s.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

His reputation was also repeatedly heralded and defended by that same media, local and national alike. And fans. Don't pretend it wasn't. And, that same media started carrying water for the the slut-shaming apparatus almost immediately.

What I would do in a similar situation is pretty irrelevant. But, A) I wouldn't be in that situation, and B) Even if I was, my first and foremost concern would be getting rightfully cleared of any wrongdoing.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How can you say this? When this broke, I was the first one to call Kane a "lout," and note that trouble seems to find him.

That said, I've had one-night stands before. I've had one-night stands with strangers. And I'm not even sure he had a one-night stand. Has there been any indication that they had sex, other than her contention that they did?

It is possible that he did nothing more than meet another person, and drink with her. I've done that a lot.

5. MisterCreosote

Because I'm married and don't cheat on my wife.

And, I don't go to bars. And, I don't talk to strange women. And, I certainly don't get them liquored up and invite them to my house.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Heralded? You think being put in the position of having to defend yourself from a false accusation of something horrendous amounts to good publicity? The accusation and the defense against the accusations somehow balance each other out? That's absurd.

How you would react if you were falsely accused of something horrendous and it got 2-3 months of coverage and you lost tens of thousands of dollars because of it is absolutely relevant if you're going to suggest that's not meaningful damage.

And what exactly is "that situation" to which you refer? That he earns more money than you conducts his personal life differently than you do not make it ok to publicly harm his reputation.

7. MisterCreosote

How would you suggest the accusation be handled in the first place? Just let it go because it could be false and then his reputation would be "damaged?"

My only concern is that justice be served. And it was.

8. Dick Whitman

Perhaps not leaking it to the press before the guy was charged would be a start.

I Should Coco and cranberry like this.
  9. MisterCreosote

And, that's fine. If a little unrealistic.

He's a public figure. It'll probably get out. And, one might make an argument that the newsworthiness of even just an investigation makes it a worthwhile leak to pursue.

10. Dick Whitman

When I covered college sports, at a Big East school, a starter and one of the top scorers on the basketball team was the subject of a rape investigation. He was never charged. It was never reported. In this case, there was a public record of the report. I don't know if that's the case with Kane, although everything seemed to be sourced to "sources," not a police record.

As I recall, they did search his house, so maybe the night cops person at the Buffalo News heard that on the scanner.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There are a lot of things that are possible, but I'd definitely put this in the realm of pretty damn improbable.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Kane scored last night.

JackReacher likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted