1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paterno back to 409. Vacated wins to be restored.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I kind of look at it like the Barry Bonds home run thing. The wins happened. We have to live with that and move on. They weren't playing with an ineligible player, where the crime at least fits the punishment.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agree with Dick on this one. And I doubt there are many outside of State College, Pa., who are applauding it. Who cares about this record? It just has nothing to do one way or the other with the terrible crimes that happened on that campus. The important part is that Sandusky is in a supermax prison.

cranberry likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Also don't see the purpose in vacating wins. The greater loss here
    And, if I'm reading the stories on the wire correctly, today's move will get money into the hands of those that need it sooner than had this gone to court. So in a way, that's a W.

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I'm not concerned about their geographic location. Those inside State College, Pa., need to be ashamed.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

"I kind of look at it like the Barry Bonds home run thing. The wins happened. We have to live with that and move on. They weren't playing with an ineligible player, where the crime at least fits the punishment."

Not the best analogy. Bonds used PEDs which helped his strength, which helped his power at the plate. Did molesting young boys helped Sandusky come up with better defensive schemes?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But that would be even more reason to take Bonds's home runs away as compared to Paterno's wins. Bonds's misdeed actually helped him set the record. Taking Paterno's wins away is strictly punitive.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

By reputation, Sandusky was a pretty good DC. Having him on staff instead of in jail or dead presumably helped Paterno win a few of those 409 games.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I always thought it strange that JoePa got to 409, and THEN the GJ findings were released.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The last time the NCAA was relevant, we were all using typewriters and Wite Out. Who cares what it does? It lost control of college athletics a long time ago.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No, the NCAA continues to fuck up college athletics. The organization is rightly a laughingstock, however, it remains the governing body and is far from irrelevant.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Penn State was having a hard enough time winning games to get Joe Pa to the record when the ass-raping in the showers stuff was unknown. Now, did the win record have a part in keeping it under wraps? Possibly, but probably 1/100th the importance of rich white guys keeping their jobs and not getting embarrassed.

Draft saved Draft deleted