1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paterno back to 409. Vacated wins to be restored.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The only thing vacated wins did was serve to upset the Penn State fans. Which, considering what happened, should have continued. Let it serve as a permanent reminder to get your priorities straight.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The whole vacating wins thing has always kind of baffled me. It seems like a meaningless gesture, and I'm frankly surprised that schools like Michigan didn't tell the NCAA to pound sand. It's not like they didn't win the games on the court; they did, and no amount of after-the-fact moralizing is going to change that.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Let the record reflect that he is the most successful pedophile enabler in college football history.

JakeandElwood and HC like this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Why do people do all this cheating?

TO WIN GAMES.

Ripping away the wins is one of the MOST appropriate punishments, although in a case like Sandusky's, not nearly the only one.

HC likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Does the statue come out of storage now?

dooley_womack1 likes this.
  6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm sure Sandusky's present accounted for at least a couple hundred of Paterno's wins. Anyhoo, my problem with the ridiculously draconian sanctions is that they trivialized the awfulness of what Sandusky did. But heck, if it makes anyone feel better, the whole mess surely killed Paterno prematurely.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sadly, he probably began helping cover it up (or at least ignoring it) long before the wins record was anywhere close to his reach. Regardless, his teams won 409 games. It happened, whether the NCAA vacated them or not. What did it accomplish to vacate the victories of a dead man? They can't vacate the number of rapes that happened under his watch, and that's the only thing that would have any meaning.

It was meaningless when they said those 409 wins didn't happen, and it's meaningless now to act like they happened again.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've come to agree regarding vacating victories, but I think reinstating them actually makes things worse. Going out of their way to mitigate any punishment related to this entire mess just doesn't seem right to me.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The NCAA is undoing the vacated wins just to fuck Florida State. This whole win total thing is Winston's fault. Brought too much negative attention, and must now be punished. Losing to Oregon wasn't enough.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

11. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

It's a victory for anyone who would harm a child in exchange for football victories. Anyone who applauds this should be ashamed.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Everyone's piling on the NCAA now for overstepping its boundaries on the penalties while conveniently forgetting how much pressure there was on them three years ago to drop a bomb on the program. Better to overstep and backtrack three years later than to look weak in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted