1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patch and anonymous sources

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Mar 14, 2012.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Honest question of curiosity.

Does Patch have global runs of any sort? I am sure there must be some.

I look at the Patch for the area in which I used to live, and I have been following a school controversy down there.

A couple days ago, a story quoted someone as something like "Mike L." and used a comment from that person as part of a news story.

This morning, they have a story with quotes from people (and I cannot tell how many) identified only as "a Podunk teacher." The issue is not such a serious one that people would get fired over it.

The way I figure it, if you cannot get people on the record, you don't have the story.

This is not meant as a knock. I am just curious about policies.

(I have seen the message-board quoting used in some dailies. Our local paper uses it in a special boxed section once a week.)

2. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Journalism has changed in that regard, notably in just the last few years. Anonymous sources are used constantly now, especially with rag Internet sites.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I do not see them constantly in the printed media. Many folks here jumped on the Daily News over the Jets story.

Laugh if it strikes you as funny, but I thought Patch wanted to me more respected than "rag Internet sites."

Again, not a knock, just curious. I know there are folks here who work or have worked for Patch.

Draft saved Draft deleted