1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patch 2.0

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

No question there's a lot of Patch-bashing and I've taken a few hacks myself. But these days you don't have to dig that hard though. I seriously doubt your friends who edit Patch sites would tell you otherwise over a shot and a beer. Or just check a few random sites. Some of the stuff could be in the Onion.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never denied that there is some crap. It's the people talking out of their asses, as you seem to be doing, that act as if there is no good work being done.

3. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

The shit's out of the bag, with the whole thing about unlocking social community vitality nonsense they've been blabbering about taking shape in a redesign.

This is what it looks like:

http://bellmore.patch.com/

The redesign is just up on a handful of sites but moves to 50 by the end of the year and everybody gets wet by the end of Q1 next year
    (if the company doesn't shut down before then) according to this site:

http://paidcontent.org/2012/09/23/in-patch-redesign-more-focus-on-users-and-less-on-editors/

4. Simon

Simon Active Member

Welp....some freshman in college is going to write a great senior thesis on how Patch.com failed as a hyper-local news solution in the post-newspaper era.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

St. John declined to share a salary range for the company’s reporters,
    but said it included benefits and was based on experience.

So maybe your "experience" will bump you from $21,000 to $21,500, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted