1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Tillman to Canton? It isn't necessary

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Came across this column on ESPN.com on the debate to to get Pat Tillman into Canton. Quite poignant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=howard-110707

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This one was still rising as it left the park. Still sickens me thinking of how his death was turned into something it wasn't by the propaganda machine.

I can see creating some sort of memorial to honor NFL players who have been killed in our country's service, but actual induction is something that sould be reserved for performance on the field or as a contributor. And while Tillman worked very hard to become what he did in the NFL, I don't think of him as an HOF'er.

3. vicd

vicd Active Member

Simeon Rice agrees with you.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well-said. It would be great to have something there honoring those players who have defended this country, but inducting them into the HOF is not the right way to do it.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He probably belongs more in an exhibit or memorial than anything else. He has a place in the Hall, but not in the traditional sense.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

He earned a spot in the Human Being Hall of Fame. He doesn't need Canton.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If he gets in, can we have a rendition of "God Bless America?"

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I forget who said this but it made a lot of sense to me. Based on what he did on the field, Tillman is not Hall of Fame material.
    If exceptionally good character is enough for an otherwise unqualified player to get into the Hall of Fame, should exceptionally bad character keep an otherwise qualified player out?

9. joe

joe Active Member

Are Michael Irvin's ears burning?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, exceptionally bad character like committing horrific murders, yes.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

A memorial for the players who died in combat, and recognition for those who served, would be a good fit for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

It would be appropriate for a game that uses so much phony battlefield lingo to tip its cap to true soldiers.

Draft saved Draft deleted