1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Tillman: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CollegeJournalist, Jan 5, 2009.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Let's try and remember that during WWII most professional ball players were drafted. Ted Williams easily lost 4 years to military service and Willie Mays lost about 2. Hank Aaron didn't get drafted. If Mays wasn't drafted or Aaron was, Willie would probably have been the HR King.

Many professional athletes served their country during war time and the Baseball and Football Halls of Fame should have a section to commemorate those who served and died for their country and Tillman belongs there, special recognition.

http://www.garybed.co.uk/those_who_served/those_who_served_atoz.htm

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Exactly. He did his job, making some good points and making me think about my opinion on the matter. He didn't change my mind, and I still don't think Tillman should be in. I thought some of you would like to read it, but it appears some people can't like something they disagree with.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

If Ray Guy or Claude Humphrey isn't in the HOF, how in the heck can you justify Pat Tillman being there?

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Pat Tillman's got no freaking business being in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

5. micke77

micke77 Member

I admire Pat Tillman for what he did for his country. As one who grew up in a military family and had a brave father who received a Purple Heart in World War II, I have the utmost respect for those who have served our country.
    That being said, though, Pat Tillman shouldn't be in the Pro HOF, based largely (almost exclusively) on his bravery he exemplified and his military record. And that's why he would be going in and not for what he achieved as a player, which wasn't enough to reap such an honor.
    As others have suggested, I say have a special memorial named for him.
    Or an award that carries his name and that could be presented annually at the induction ceremonies. This would be something that would allow his name to be remembered and appreciated forever.
    I serve on our state's HOF committee and, in the past, we've had athletes who have passed away and who suddenly, some believe, should immediately be presented with a HOF induction. They were average athletes at the very best, but the emotions of some board members prompted them to make a push for such athletes to be honored immediately and inducted into our shrine. Too often, it's just that--emotions--that weigh heavier than actual credentials. Nothing wrong with wanting to recognize such individuals, but just because they have left us doesn't automatically raise their level of qualifications. Pardon me if that sounds somewhat harsh and maybe inconsiderate, but I believe most of us on SportsJournalists.com understand where I am coming from.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thanks Fen. It was so long ago, I had to scroll up to remind myself what I had written.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well put, spnited. The sas part is so many people thinking it makes them patriotic to make a big deal out of Tillman. This idea of raising one soldier who gave his life above the others simply because he had so much to lose seems to fly in the face of what our ideals are supposed to be in this country. It certainly doesn't fit with Tillman's approach. If I remember correctly, he did not want any more attention than the other soldiers he was serving with.

8. micke77

micke77 Member

Outofplace....i sometimes think that, as you referenced, too many times some of us Americans are driven to honor someone as patriotic or risked his life because we either didn't have the balls to do the same thing or have a major guilt trip over it. and that by suggesting or doing something such as this, we have done our part. some of us get so wrapped up in this patriotic gig--yellow ribbons around the trees, bumper stickers, etc.--to the extent that i question the sincerity of it. pardon getting off on a patriotic rant, but you reminded me of such thoughts.

Draft saved Draft deleted