1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Tillman: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CollegeJournalist, Jan 5, 2009.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

Hey, that's logic!

Stop that right now!

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Not trying to dredge up an old argument, and I agree with most of you that he does not deserve to be in based on his playing career. Just thought it was a good column.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I wonder if Bianchi realizes he quoted Bruce lyrics from an anti-war song or if he's as dumb as the politicians who think Born in the USA is a patriotic anthem.

The column itself is, in my opinion, dumb. Pat Tillman was not a Hall of Fame player. Period. End of discussion of Hall of Fame.

I'd also like to know what makes Pat Tillman any more an American hero than every other US soldier who died in Afghanistan, Iraq, the Gulf War, Vietnam, Korea, WW II, WW I... etc.
    Because he was a football player in our sports star/celebrity driven society means his sacrifice was greater than theirs? I don't think so.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I've read a lot of Mike's stuff over the years, and nothing he's ever written makes me think he has the wrong take on "Born in the USA." He's smarter than that. The lyrics in the column reinforce my opinion. He's too smart to be in the same school of thought as those who rallied around that song at Reagan stump speeches in 1984.

Not saying I agree with the column as a whole.

I certainly agree with the substance of your post.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't know, J_D. He's certainly not using the song to make a patriotic or pro-war stance; it seems he was just trying to paint the picture that Tillman is no longer here.

But given that song's history, which I would expect Bianchi to know about, it certainly seems a questionable choice to use to illustrate the fact that Tillman's "all gone". There are plenty of other war/death songs he could have used that don't have a history of being co-opted for jingoistic purposes.

I know Bruce is a hot topic during this particular Super Bowl week, but that column was a little too jingoistic to use a song that was so famously misinterpreted not that long ago.

He should have picked a different one.

And FWIW, Tillman is in no way deserving of Hall of Fame induction. It's an idiotic, short-sighted argument. Should Eddie Grant go in the Baseball Hall of Fame? Of course not.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It was pretty solid... I'll give that

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This is a ridiculous argument.....

If we put Pat Tillman in -- do we start putting in every journeyman player out there who has done something "heroic" or "extremely charitable" or has been a "champion in his community"?

Does the lineman guy (name escapes me) from the 80's Steelers who started a charity that has fed thousands of people, helped find clothing and shelter for thousands of familes and helped thousands of people find jobs and whatnot -- doesn't he deserve to be in?

In fact I'd make an argument that guy deserves it more given what he actually did because Pat Tillman -- and I know this is going to sound mean-spirited but it is not -- was not fighting in a war to "protect our freedom" as our freedom was never in jeopardy.

Don't get me wrong, what Pat Tillman did was courageous and it was to be admired, but this wasn't someone going to fight to keep the commies out in World War II -- and all of the over-the-top flag waving about the bravery of our troops -- all of whom volunteered to get into this ridiculous war by the way --fighting in Iraq and whatnot is getting silly.

Pat Tillman deserves to be trumpeted as a courageous guy who chose to give up a million dollar career to fulfill what he believed was his obligation to this nation.

That is to be commended, it doesn't mean a hill of beans when it comes to his Hall of Fame worthiness........

8. Y'all are right.
    The HOF is too small a place for Pat Tillman.
    And oop's Malamud take up above is worthy of a golf clap or three.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

"Fighting the commies in World War II?"

"Forget it, he's rolling."

10. Outing Alert -- zag is George S. Patton.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love Bianchi. I love the column.

But Tillman is not a Hall of Famer.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

zag, Pat Tillman was killed in Afghanistan. Not to drag this into Politics board territory, but I think most people would argue that's a little different than Dubya's Middle Eastern Adventure.

Draft saved Draft deleted