1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Tillman: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CollegeJournalist, Jan 5, 2009.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Baseball Hall had a similar debate as it started. Landis wanted Eddie Grant, a former player killed in WWI, to be in the first class at Cooperstown. It was rejected pretty quickly by the voters, who of course listed Marty Bergen on their ballots. Bergen's claim to fame was killing his family. He got two votes.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Nice pull.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Mojo!

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

But the first part of that adage is "offense gets the glory". So, there's your answer.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bernard Malamud would've written it that way, but they would have changed it for the movie.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Not saying I agree, but pretty solid argument from Bianchi:
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bianchi3101312009,0,3374322.column

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tillman was a heroic story. But he is not a Hall of Famer. Period.

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I agree. But it's a good column and raises some interesting points.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I think maybe they ought to have a room devoted to players like Tillman, Rocky Bleier and the like. Give them a presence in Canton somewhere.

11. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

That would seem to be the best option.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I remember when Lawrence Taylor was being considered for induction and there was a debate about whether or not his off-the-field character issues (drug problems, etc.) should disqualify him from being inducted.
    Regardless of what Taylor did off the field, he was the best ever to play his position. That's why he deserves to be in the hall of fame.
    Regardless of what Tillman did off the field that was indicative of good character, his playing career was not good enough to make him a worthy inductee.
    If bad off-the-field character should not keep an otherwise qualified player out of the hall of fame, good off-the-field character should not allow an otherwise unqualified player to be inducted.

Draft saved Draft deleted