1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Tillman: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CollegeJournalist, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fuck no.

2. Mustang, is your last sentence supposed to be sarcastic?
    If so, I think you need to review what the Hall of Fame is for. It's not about honoring good people. Otherwise, OJ would be out and Tillman would be a lock.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I heard that comment and I thought for a minute. The answer is No.
    It's not like in 1972 when Roberto Clemente died and there was a rush to put him him waiving the five-year rule. Clemente was an all-time great who would've been in the HOF regardless.
    Tillman was a good player who sacrificed riches to support his country in a war. While what he did something many people couldn't and wouldn't do, I don't think it merits a place for him in Canton.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He has a shrine at UPS that is more than adequate.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Disagree on the retired numbers. Those belong to the teams (Jackie Robinson in MLB is an exception), and if the teams' owners want to retire any number for anything, that's their right. Certainly wouldn't argue with Tillman there.

A league Hall of Fame, no.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

There is a statue at U of Phoenix stadium. Sufficient memorial.

7. Is there an echo in here?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's not official until someone repeats a post. LOL

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Actually, I doubt representing "the league" was anywhere near the top of the list of reasons why he volunteered for service. The league, and later the Bush administration (with an assist to Ron Fournier!), latched on and tried to recast everything about his service, including his death, to fit their PR efforts. They should just stop.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I kinda thought reading the first post that "Big Brown" had a statue of him at their HQ...

11. His family should own the Bush ranch, for starters.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

FAME

Draft saved Draft deleted