1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Summitt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Jun 26, 2016.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

"I don't think anybody knows whether she will last a day, a month, or a year," the source said.

4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

#PrayForPat

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

CNN is reporting she has passed. Age 64. RIP.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

8. Well shit.
    R.I.P.
    She has been one of my idols since I read that SI profile on her where were water broke while on a recruiting trip to Pennsylvania, but she delayed birth until she returned to Tennessee.

I'm sure she's going to Heaven. But I'll bet she has a standing job offer from the Devil to stare down the sinners.

God, that glare.

R.I.P.

Lugnuts likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This seems rather overwritten, at least the first several grafs.

Eyes Of The Storm When Tennessee's whirlwind of a coach, Pat Summitt, hits you with her steely gaze, you get a dose of the intensity that has carried the Lady Vols to five NCAA titles

But interesting tidbit ...

Those who are playing for Pat Summitt now at Tennessee--members of the 1997-98 team, which finished the regular season 30-0 and is favored to win an astonishing third consecutive national title, the sixth in 12 years--cannot see the hurricane clearly because they're still inside it. They're hugging a tree for dear life, waiting for the wind and water to recede. Someone else, on a dry, sunny day a few years from now, can ask them to describe what it was like to play for this woman whose five national championships are surpassed in NCAA basketball history only by John Wooden's 10; whose .814 winning percentage in 23 seasons ranks fifth among all coaches in the history of men's and women's college basketball; whose number of trips to the Final Four, 14 and counting, will most likely never be matched, seeing how she's only 45. This woman who never raised a placard or a peep for women's rights, who never filed a suit or overturned a statute or gave a flying hoot about isms or movements, this unconscious revolutionary who's tearing up the terrain of sexual stereotypes and seeding it with young women who have an altered vision of what a female can be.

Auriemma has been to 17 Final 4's, including 9 straight. At that point he'd only been to 3 so it was a fair statement to make.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

An incredible coach and a true pioneer in her sport. RIP

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Very reminiscent of Sarah Palin giving birth to Trig.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted