1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Summitt stepping down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dyno, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I hope this isn't an indication that things have taken a bad turn for her.

"Eight months after disclosing her diagnosis of early-onset Alzheimer’s disease, Pat Summitt was poised Wednesday to announce that she will step aside as the Tennessee women’s basketball coach, making way for longtime assistant Holly Warlick take over the Lady Vols.

The university will make the news official via a press release Wednesday afternoon after Summitt meets with her players in Knoxville, Tenn., to inform them in private. A news conference is expected to follow Thursday."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/pat-summitt-to-step-down-legendary-tennessee-womens-basketball-coach-won-1098-games-8-ncaa-titles/2012/04/18/gIQA2CK2QT_story.htm

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Pat Summitt - she gone

As much as I despise all things Big Orange, I can't hate on her. Godspeed coach.

http://m.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/apr/18/pat-summitt-steps-down/

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: Pat Summitt - she gone

All the best to her.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the classiest people I ever had the honor to interview.

My God, can you imagine having to replace her?

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Sad news.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sad, but not surprising. I think I predicted on the initial thread that she wouldn't even coach this season. She showed me.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Re: Pat Summitt - she gone

db

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sad news to one of sport's great pioneers.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They were smart about announcing her replacement so quickly. That's the best way to do it in a situation like this, not that very many teams in any sport are ever in a position to have a legend step down and endorse their replacement at the same time...

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

She not only made women's hoops a happening for UT fans, she helped elevate the high school game in Tennessee to excellence. There are plenty of small-town gyms across the state where the girls draw as well or better than the boys. That doesn't even cover schools that became national powers, like Shelbyville or White County. As much as people compare her to Wooden, she's more of a cross between Heisman and Rockne.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I hate all things to do with that university's sports, but I cannot bring myself to hate Summit, either.

12. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Hate the Vols.
    Love Pat Summit.
    Must be a big club.

Draft saved Draft deleted