1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Summitt diagnosed w/dementia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Good luck, Coach.
    You brought women's collegiate athletics out of the AIAW stages to the big stage, alongside the boys.
    Great woman's athletics figure to talk I'm sure (never did) and to follow her career.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How is she actually going to coach this year?

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Jenkins' piece says by delegating a lot of the details to her assistants. Makes her sound like a bit of a figurehead, but I'm guessing she'll possess for quite a while the ability to put the fear of God into both her players and the opposition. The only downside, I think, is that while some people are able to step away when they know the time is right, I'm not sure she'll be willing to concede that. Hopefully her son will be able to when he knows it has to be done.

But I mean, how much actual coaching is JoePa doing now, for example?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I predict that she doesn't coach this year. Or at least doesn't finish it. Just an enormous and uncomfortable distraction. I fully concede that I maybe wrong. This is a prediction I'm making with about 1 percent of the relevant information and only about 50.1 percent certainty.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The disease progresses differently for everyone. If she's on a course of Aricept now that they've identified the early-onset dementia, she might be able to coach for several more years.

6. In reading the story on Go Vols it didn't sound too promising. How well do those meds work in staving off dementia?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It varies. It doesn't stave it off so much as slow (some of) it down. More here:

http://www.alzheimersweekly.com/content/aricept-vascular-dementia

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I suspect she'll be the women's hoops version of Bobby Bowden...there to teach and to enthuse, but will step back at gametime and allow Mickie DeMoss to run the show.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

TV, do you really think it's Mickie over Holly? I mean, I dunno, myself, I just figured Mickie slid down the totem pole a bit since she did the tours of duty at UK and little ut...

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

all my prayers are with pat to stiff-arm this for as long as possible. sadly, this has nothing to do with someone's will or strength or character. if the condition is set on progressing not even the summitt stare will scare it off.

go, pat, go. and god bless

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Can that work in basketball, though? There isn't exactly a huddle to call the sets before every play. In football success is probably 80-90 percent based on what you've installed and worked on in practice, but in hoops it's responding to the game situations in an instant.

Draft saved Draft deleted